Here’s a secret about your skin! About skin barrier.
We’re all born with perfect, porcelain, baby-esque complexions. What you see is actually our skin barrier, mostly made of lipids which keeps your skin soft while locking in water for that oh-so-plump and firm look. It also acts as a barrier to prevent any icky stuff from getting under our skin and triggering breakouts.
But our skin barrier tends to weaken over time, losing its ability to maintain its natural moisture levels. When that happens, the skin develops a dry and tight sensation, becomes more sensitive, and is more prone to breaking out.
What are the factors damaging our skin barrier?
- One is of course, aging . As we get older, our skin inevitably starts to weaken and lose its elasticity.
- For some, it’s a medical issue that needs lifetime maintenance and care. It just so happens (unfortunately) that the skin is a lot less strong, making it more prone to redness and itchiness.
- Hormonal changes , triggered either by stress or one’s menstrual cycle, can also create impact the way our skin normally behaves. It might suddenly get very very dry, or on the other end of the spectrum, very oily!
- Pollution in the air can also attack and impair the skin barrier function, a common problem for those who live in highly congested spaces like the city. Even change in the air we live in can cause mayhem, as those returning after staying overseas for some time can attest.
- Laser and beauty treatments tend to damage the skin barrier ever so slightly in order to stimulate growth of newer, stronger cells. However, the process may damage the barrier temporarily, leaving it vulnerable to toxins and inflammation.
Verdict: Which is why visiting the right beautician is so important in maintaining a glowing complexion. Picking a beauty salon that knows how to manage post-treatment effects essential in feeling on top of your game at all times.
What you can do to keep you skin barrier in top shape?
While things like your age and skin’s natural sensitivity can’t be changed, and moving out of the city may trigger a whole new host of skin problems, there are still steps you can take to ensure your skin barrier always feels its best.
One of them is to regularly get rid of the dead skin cells sitting on top of your face, which can weigh down your skin barrier and lead to duller complexion. Something like the Hydro Plus Renewal Gel works perfectly to restore your skin’s natural youthful glow. Gently massage it into the skin to remove the not-so-great stuff and give your pores a good cleaning, which helps minimise their appearance to boot! It also contains Peach Extract which encourages skin cells to repair and protect itself against future damages, and Green Tea Extract which protects skin from the damaging effects of free radicals. This step preps your skin for other products in your skincare routine, allowing it to deeply penetrate the skin barrier.
Once your skin is sufficiently prepped and rid of dead skin cells, you’ll want to inject a bit of intensive skincare action back into your skin barrier. Something with anti-ageing functions that rejuvenate mature skin and strengthen younger skin like the Cell Repair Serum would do the trick. Say goodbye to wrinkles and pores, and hello to plump skin! Jasmine flower extract is the secret ingredient we put in to treat dryness and dehydration, while the Peony Root Essence boosts microcirculation to relieve inflammation and improve complexion.
And to cap off your skincare routine, we recommend an overnight treatment which will help rejuvenate the skin after long exposure to pollution. The refreshing effects of the Intensive Hydrating Sleeping Mask comes to mind. Similar to a moisturiser, it has an airy, almost invisible texture which allows the skin to breathe even while enriching it with all kinds of floral goodness. The sleeping mask contains Marine Collagen to increase skin firmness and elasticity, while Hyaluronic Acid boosts the skin’s ability to absorb and retain moisture. If you notice an improvement in your complexion and smoothing out of deep wrinkles, it’s the Alfafa Extract at work.
These self-care skincare prep is easy to do at home, especially right before or after a treatment to promote stronger skin. But every so often, your skin will need an extra bit of pampering in order to give it a hard reset.